Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A shawl for a friend

A few weeks ago I received an email from a long-lasting (I don't like saying "old" because we aren't) friend relaying some sad news. Another friend was diagnosed with cancer and she was sharing the news. My heart hurt that day and it still does. Instead of remaining idle, I had to find a way to feel like I was with her even though she lives far away ... so I knit.

It has been awhile since I've knitted and I didn't want to be too ambitious but I wanted to send her something that would wrap her in warmth and remind her that her friends are with her. I picked a shawl. And unfortunately, the lesson I learned in completing this project is that propogation of error is not theory, its fact. I learned the scientific method, I know that you can't "unpropogate" errors but I kept knitting and knitting and knitting because I was stubborn. I thought that my initial error would just be a mirror on the decrease side. Boy was I wrong. The shape was funny, the edge looked crooked and I was quickly running out of yarn (which is long since out of stock). Finally, my sister told me I needed to pull it out and start over. I wish I'd done that so much sooner because I am so happy with the correctly knitted end product. The second time knitting was filled with much more love and that is the message I want the yarn to tell!





I'll be sending the shawl in the mail tomorrow. I hope it brings my friend comfort and let's her know that we are holding her in our arms.

1 comment: