Thursday, April 21, 2011

My son is a classic

Recall the age-old story of the small boy standing in the outfield with his glove laying on the ground, all of a sudden dancing in circles while waving his arms in the sky. Oh, is that a butterfly that has happened by?

Now, imagine a team of 3 to 5 year olds running up and down the soccer field all glommed around the ball, indiscriminately kicking one another while one little boy sits in a patch of dirt searching for treasure. He is unaware of the game being played around him until his coach runs over, lifts him up and points to the ball and yells "run and kick it."

That's my boy, that's my Steven. It is a classic case of boy oblivious to the world around him. I love it!

Last week Steven started Bitty Soccer through the YMCA. He did pretty good for his first two practices (we had to miss one due to our vacation, maybe that is why he's a little disinterested?). He stood, rather sat, in line for his turn to kick at the goal. He listened intently, rather half-heartedly, to his coach - check that, chief (as Steven fondly calls his Coach, err Chief Craig).

All in all, I can tell he is having fun and man, that kid has a keen sense of observation. While driving to his second practice (a full week after his first), he asked me why "those girls" had "those things" on their legs. It took me a minute or two but I finally realized he was asking why some of his teammates had shin guards (they aren't required so we skipped the expense). He sees and thinks about everything and it confirms to me that he pays attention but maybe is too focused on the details rather than the bigger picture of actually playing the sport.

I was the lucky one tonight, I did get to come home with a pocket full of treasures. Too bad that broken bits of acorn and weeds aren't worth as much as watching your child with a huge smile on your face!

No comments:

Post a Comment