Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Upcycle: A Robe for Lyla

When  you do one for one kid, you've got to do one for the other!

Lyla's robe was constructed with the same pattern as Steven's but I had a few modifications because there was not enough material from my choosen item for upcycling. My sister Lori gave me some old clothes to upcycle at Thanksgiving, including a Hannah Andersen adult jumper made from a jersey knit. I'd never sewn that material before so I was a little nervous but it turned out to be pretty easy. I just had to really pay attention to steadily feeding the material through the machine.


The color is this photo is off, the shirt in the back is pink.
I had a few errors on this project but in the end it turned out pretty cute. I had to improvise on the hood because there wasn't enough base fabric. I tried to get enough out of it but ended up cutting out two left sides of the hood so I had to scrap it completely and go with some old shirts. The hood turned out pretty cute and I decided to make the tie out of the shirts to make it all work together. Thanks goodness I have two bins of old clothes that are eligible for upcycling, now I just need to find my next project!



No comments:

Post a Comment