Monday, January 30, 2012

Upcycle: Pillow Cases to Bath Robe

 I have an old robe that I wear around the house all the time. It keeps me warm in the morning and cozy in the evenings. I just like being comfortable and I think that is wearing off on my son because he asked me to make him a robe.


Over Thanksgiving Tracy and Lori off-loaded some items for me to upcycle (when I got the time) and it included to king size flannel pillow cases. My original plan for the pillow cases was pajamas in my book Making Children's Clothes: 25 Stylish Step-by-step Sewing Projects for 0-5 Years but I decided to use them for the Beach Robe pattern by Dana at MADE. I figured that flannel pillow cases would work just as well as a beach towel and the pattern is for "experienced beginners" which is perfect for me!


I printed and cut the pattern, cut the pieces and took Steven and Lyla to Jo-Ann to buy bias tape for the edging. I have to admit that I fell into gender bias when it came to the bias tape choices. At first Steven was drawn to the pink, I should have just let him get it but I continued to prod him and show him other options. He looked at the purple, green and then zeroed in on orange. And then Lyla picked pink. She was determined (even though I didn't have plans for her robe just yet). Steven didn't throw a fit so I was safe!


I spent most of Sunday afternoon pinning, sewing, hosting a child on my lap, ripping, repinning, reading a story, sewing, rearranging pieces, sewing and then it was done! Just in time for pictures but no time for a shower tonight so that Steven could try it out for real. 


Steven never takes showers, he loves his bath. But now that he has a robe he is constantly talking about taking a shower. We'll see how long that lasts! I'll take a photo of the model soon.






No comments:

Post a Comment