Sunday, September 25, 2011

Concord Grapes

I love our CSA (community supported agriculture). Betty from Peacock Farms is our farmer and she always has something in our basket each week that proves to be fun and exciting for the family. This week we got a bag full of concord grapes.

They weren't so good to just eat - the skin is tough and there are seeds - so I decided to try Betty's suggestion of making jelly. Since I've never done it before I went to the trusty internet and found some recipes. Quite easy, it seemed, and with the help of my sous chef, Steven, it ended up being very fun and simple to accomplish.


We squeezed the grape meat out of the skin, then chopped up the skin and boiled it all together. Steven then helped me to stir it all together before we did the final mixing and straining. His concentration was amazing. He followed directions and helped with every step. 


My biggest fear was the canning process. I'd done some canning the week before (pickled okra, I love you Tommy) but I still consider myself a novice. It didn't really matter if the canning process worked with this batch because I really only had enough for one jar and I knew it would be gobbled up right away. But, I wanted to try to see if I could do it. So, I boiled and sanitized, sealed and popped. It worked but like I said, the jar got opened two days later because I have a family addicted to sugar!



No comments:

Post a Comment