Monday, January 10, 2011

Snow Day

Dang it is cold! Everyone says I should be tougher since I grew up in Minnesota. Aren't you used to this? they ask.

No.

I haven't spent an extended length of time in Minnesota since I was 20. That was a long time ago and I doubt that I ever really spent much time outside when I was home during holiday college breaks. I remember the first time I took Tommy home to Minnesota in the winter. I thought he was going to lose a toe he got so cold. It was February, Steven was a tiny baby and it was C.O.L.D. Don't sign me up to do that again. It was so cold that Kira wouldn't even go outside to potty.

It wasn't quite that cold today but it was snowy and the kids were jumping at the chance to get outside and play in it. We all got bundled up in snow pants, boots and gloves so that we could romp around in the front yard. Tommy and I didn't have real snow boots, though. We both dug out our rubber boots from our trip to the Amazon and thick wool socks. Again, I thought Tommy might lose a toe but he didn't stay out in the cold too long. (Later in the week we did order boots online. Just in time for the snow to start melting and temperatures to rise. Better late than never, right?)

I think Steven's imagination created 100 different flavors of pretend snow ice cream that were oh, so yummy.

And we probably should just buy a sled for the kids. We may only use it once a year but it would be better than the trash can lid. It was all I could find and I did wash it off with wet snow before pulling the kids around on it.

All in all it was a fun snow day!

No comments:

Post a Comment